Brief Conceits will be moving off of Blogger onto a WordPress-powered site. The transition will happen later this week. The web address will remain the same, and if you are subscribed to the RSS that should remain the same as well. Thank you!

Wednesday, May 21, 2008

A Dangerous Business, Flying

You think that pilots shouldn't be allowed to carry firearms onto planes? Well, then you're either a pompous bureaucrat or deluded hippie. Spend one day in a pilot's shoes, and you'll be singing a different tune.

Just last week I piloted Flight 827: non-stop service from Minneapolis to Denver. We were attacked by cockpit ninjas. My co-pilot, Charlie, may he rest in peace, never had a chance. No firearm. I told the passengers we were experiencing turbulence. They never knew I was fighting off seven ninjas all while Charlie died in my arms.

It's a dangerous business flying a commercial aircraft.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for posting your 101 word short stories on Blogger / Blogspot :) I haven't yet got to grips with Live Journal, so this alternative way of reading your stories is very welcome. I think they're great. I like the image of the valiant pilot battling seven ninjas while cradling his colleague in his arms; he must have some pretty nifty kicks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I'm really glad that you enjoy them. I'm happy with Blogger, too. It's a lot more customizable and easier to read backlogs.

    I'm also glad that I could invoke the scene I had in my head into yours! That's very exciting for a writer. :D

    ReplyDelete