Brief Conceits will be moving off of Blogger onto a WordPress-powered site. The transition will happen later this week. The web address will remain the same, and if you are subscribed to the RSS that should remain the same as well. Thank you!

Monday, February 23, 2009

Scab

I keep picking at this scab,
Wondering why it won't heal,
Knowing very well it's because
I keep picking at this scab.

Why can't I stop?
Why can't I just leave it alone?
Why won't it heal?
Why won't I allow it to heal?
Why do I keep picking at this scab?

It's worse now than when
It was simply a wound.
It began to heal.
It covered itself up.
I could have been done with it
If I just didn't pick at the scab.

Now it's a habit.
I pick at it without even knowing.
I don't even let it scab over anymore.
Constant. Incessant.
I just want to stop.

I just want to stop.

2 comments:

  1. I like this, because I relate to it. I have several "picked scab" scars on my body where I should have left well enough alone. In order to stop my fingers straying to one of them, I had to resort to a Band-Aid (aka sticking plaster, for a UK generic translation). What could be a metaphorical Band-Aid for your scabs?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sticking plaster? That sounds like I'm fixing a crack in a wall.

    That is an interesting idea, though. What would be a metaphorical adhesive medical strip?

    ReplyDelete