Brief Conceits will be moving off of Blogger onto a WordPress-powered site. The transition will happen later this week. The web address will remain the same, and if you are subscribed to the RSS that should remain the same as well. Thank you!

Friday, August 8, 2008

Because When I Want Medical Advice, I Want Someone Who Can Only Understand Medicine in Relation to Their Own Line of Work

"My name is Earl Studebaker, and I am a construction worker on some of the world's largest skyscrapers. I know about taking small things, like blueprints, and making them bigger things, like really big skyscrapers. So when my doctor told me that I had an enlarged prostate, I asked him, 'How are we going to make it bigger?'

"'You don't understand,' he said, 'It's not supposed to be enlarged. That is why you need to take a drug to shrink it.'

"'But,' I stammered, 'I don't know how to make things small! How can I trust you?'

"'Because I'm a doctor.'"

2 comments:

  1. This is really silly, quirky and funny:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so I don't forget the inspiration for this story (and for anyone who may not have seen the commercial this story is spoofing).

    I've already forgotten the name of the specific medicine, but it was airing a lot on television around the time I wrote this. It was to treat enlarged prostates.

    The ridiculous thing about it was that it did not have an actor portraying a doctor telling you that it would work, but it starred a Hollywood miniature set builder. His line for the commercial was something along the lines of: "I know something about making large things small, so when my doctor told me I had an enlarged prostate, I said, 'How can we make it smaller?'" As if his experience building miniatures made him more qualified to know the right medicine to take for shrinking an enlarged prostate.

    Anyway, you can probably get where I went with that ridiculous conceit in this story.

    ReplyDelete