Brief Conceits will be moving off of Blogger onto a WordPress-powered site. The transition will happen later this week. The web address will remain the same, and if you are subscribed to the RSS that should remain the same as well. Thank you!

Thursday, July 31, 2008

I Wrote This One Just for Me

"I've been recently considering the value of naming things within stories," Fiona said to her English teacher. "I can name things completely random things, and it would imitate real life, but not all my readers would get it. Conversely, I could name things what they represent. I could name my character 'Everyman' instead of 'John' and just announce to the reader: 'I'm writing in allegory!'"

Math Teacher said, "Is there only those two extremes?"

"I suppose I could name him 'Everyman' and write him contrary to his name, but that would only confuse the readers."

Math Teacher the English teacher nodded.

No comments:

Post a Comment