Brief Conceits will be moving off of Blogger onto a WordPress-powered site. The transition will happen later this week. The web address will remain the same, and if you are subscribed to the RSS that should remain the same as well. Thank you!

Saturday, August 29, 2009

Happiness

Gerald calmly sipped his rooibos tea and flipped through the Literature section of the newspaper to give the impression that he was cultured. In reality he longed for a root beer float, a copy of The Areas of My Expertise by John Hodgman, and an mp3 player playing One Night in Bangkok by Murray Head on a continuous loop. It also just so happened that Rusty sat down with just that combination of articles.

"We leave our happiness at the door here," Gerald said pointing to the sign which read: No Happiness Allowed. No Exceptions.

Rusty walked away abject but happy.

4 comments:

  1. All of the things listed that both Gerald and Rusty are doing make me happy. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, this represents your split personality? It does mine:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well... moreso it's about how some people purposely do things that give them no pleasure to "fit in." But I used things I enjoy from both my refined side and my not-so-refined side to populate this story. If I had what Gerald had, I'd have to leave this Happiness-Free Zone as well.

    ReplyDelete